The Apsidal Chapels in the left Transept
Chapel of the Holy Trinity
The altarpiece was painted by Leandro da Bassano. On the left wall, two canvases by Giuseppe Porta called ilSalviati: the Crucifixion with the Holy Women and the Risen Christ and saints; hanging monument is to Andrea Morosini, a general procurator of the Venetian army (mid-l4th century).
On the right wall, the Doubting of Thomas, also by Leandro da Bassano. The hanging monument is to Pietro Cornaro (late 14th century), a procurator of St. Mark. Above the monument is Our Lady of the Rosary by Lorenzo Gramiccia.
Chapel of St. Pius V
Formerly to St. Michael, belongs to the Cavalli family. The altarpiece with the great Dominican pope is of the school of Paolo Veronese.
On the right is the urn of Jacopo Cavalli, commander of the Venetian land forces during the Chioggia war († 1384), it is an work by Paolo Dalle Masegne (14th century). The warrior’s head is laid on a lion and at his feet is a mastiff (strength and fidelity).
On the urn are the symbols of the Evangelists and four angels. The huge fresco was made by Lorenzo di Tiziano, nephew and imitator of the great Titian, in the mid-16th century.
On the left wall is the 14th century urn of doge Giovanni Dolfin († 1361). In the centre of the face of the urn isChrist enthroned between two angels with the doge and his wife kneeling before Him. To the left is theAdoration of the Magi and to the right the Passing of the Virgin. At the end is the Annunciation. These works are from the first period of Venetian sculpture and by Andrea da San Felice. Always on the left wall, St. Pius X with Dominican Saints, of Mario Ferrari Bravo and St. Anthony, the miracle of the mule by Giuseppe Heintz. Beneath the Dolfin monument is the tomb of senator Marino Cavalli († 1572) of the late 16th century.