Basilica > Sculpture
Following, you will find some of the valuable monuments in Saints John and Paul Basilica.
The Colleoni Monument
The Serene Republic glossed the will «in front of the Grand College of St. Mark». The competition was opened and won by the Florentine Andrea del Cione called Verrocchio († at Veni-ce in 1488), the master of the great Leonardo da Vinci. In 1481 Verrocchio reached Venice bringing with him «the natural size horse in pieces». Death overtook him before his masterpiece had been cast. Even though he had himself nominated as his successor in the work his fellow citizen and follower Lorenzo di Credi, the Republic gave prefe-rence to Alessandro Leopardi. The model is certainly that of Verrocchio with some retouching by Leopardi. The very fine base is entirely the work of Leopardi.
On 21st March 1496 came the inauguration of this magnificent work, resplendent in its gilding, of which today remain some traces.
Monument to doge Leonardo Loredan
The monument to doge Leonardo Loredan († 1521) erected towards 1572. The design is by Girolamo Grapiglia, the statue of the doge by Girolamo Campagna, the allegorical statues of Venice (to the left), the League of Cambrai (to the right), the Abundance and the Peace (between the columns) and the lowreliefs are by Danese Cattaneo, a disciple of Sansovino’s.
Monument to doge Tommaso Mocenigo
The monument to doge Tommaso Mocenigo († 1423). This work marks the beginning of the spread of the style of Donatello (note the warrior at the left corner of the sarcophagus, close to the St. George by Donatello and is dated 1423 and signed: Pietro di Maestro Nicolò Lamberti (from Florence) and Giovanni di Martino da Fiesole. A transitional work between the art of the Gothic and the Renaissance periods with Venetian elements and Florentine forms. The baldachin knotted at the top by a floral motive flanked by two rampant lions is typical; and the large architectonic panel with six saints in niches is reminiscent of an altar reredos. On the front of the sarcophagus are figures representing the theological and cardinal virtues. Right at the top of the monument is Justice. The doge is buried under the slab at the foot of the monument together with his father Pietro, procurator of St. Mark.
Mausoleum of the Mocenigo
The interior façade is taken up by the mausoleum of the Mocenigo family. In the middle is the monument to doge Alvise I († 1577) and his wife Loredana Marcello. Six fluted pilasters of the Corinthian order divide the space into five parts. In the central of these, at the head of the doorway can be seen the coat of arms.
In the two lower outer parts are: two statues, St. Peter and St. George formerly on the nearby monument to Pietro Mocenigo, in the inner parts here are, above the two windows, two low-reliefs representing the Doge in Prayer and the Doge’s Audience, attributed to G. Campagna (late 16th century). In the upper tier of panels: on the left, the effigy of the doge, recumbent on a bier and sarcophagus of grey marble; on the right the effigy of his wife. Between the two sarcophagi: statues of the Virgin, the Redeemer, and St. Mark. This work, with its classical overtones, was begun by Girolamo Grapiglia in 1580 and finished by Francesco Contin in 1646.