The façade is in a typical Ita-lianate monastic Gothic style, divided vertically into three parts, by two heavy pilasters, with a central rose window and a large «eye» on either side. In the three tabernacles rising above the crown of the façade are statues (from left to right) of St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Dominic, St. Peter the Martyr, and, on their respective pinnacles, an eagle (St. John the Evangelist), the Eternal Father, and the Lion of St. Mark. Beneath the pointed arches on either side of the portal, from left to right are the sarcophagi of Marino Morosini, the two doges Jacopo Tiepolo and Lorenzo, Marco Michieli, and the brothers Daniele and Pietro Buono.
The portal was built with six columns bought in Torcello and carried to SS. John and Paul in 1459. The authors responsible for the work are Bartolomeo Bon getting as far as the capitals, Master Domenico da Firenze of the frieze and a certain Magister Luce of the cornice and «encarpio».
After the chapel of St. Dominic (1690), one comes to the celebrated large Gothic Window.
The next building is extremely important for the history of Venetian painting. It is the famous chapel or Scuola of St. Orsola, built in 1300 and for which Vittor Carpaccio painted, at the end of the 15th century, the very well known cycle of paintings which were removed at the beginning of the 19th century, and can today be admired in the Accademia Gallery in Venice. The Dominican fathers have been living there since 1810. The original walls of the chapel are essentially intact. That within these walls is the tomb of the two brothers Giovanni and Gentile Bellini.
The majestic and imposing apse of the church is certainly the finest example of 14th century Gothic style architecture in Venice. The gallery is the last link with Romanesque art.
In the enclosure are some Gothic sarcophagi, some of which come from the cemetery of the Scuola of St. Orsola.