Province Jurisdiction

Province Jurisdiction

1303 – Because of the high number of members and Convents, the General Chapter splits into two parts the original “Lombard Province”, founded at the beginning of the Order:

  • “LOMBARDIAE SUPERIORIS Province”: Milan, Genoa, Pavia, Piacenza, Como, whose seat is Sant’Eustorgio, Milan
  • “LOMBARDIAE INFERIORIS Province”: Marche, Romagna, Bologna, Modena, Reggio Emilia, Parma, Ferrara, Venetian Patriarchates of Aquileia and Grado (Venice), whose seat is Bologna

15th Century – The Order’s Raymond Reform Movement spreads throughout the two Lombard provinces, where a higher and higher number of observant Convents found the “Reformed Congregation of Lombardy”

1410 – The “Upper Lombard Province” changes its name into the simple “Lombard” denomination, the “Lower Lombard Province” becomes “Saint Dominic Province”

1464 – Birth of the “Lombard Congregation” (of the Observance) under the General Master’s direct jurisdiction, along with the Reform in some convents in Veneto: the convents of Saint Dominic in Castello and Saint Peter Martyr in Murano, Venice.
The Convent of Saints John and Paul in Venice and the Convents of Treviso and Udine still preserve the title and jurisdiction of “Conventuals”

1531 – Pope Clement VII establishes the unified Province of “Provincia Utriusque Lombardiae” for the “Reformed”

  • Non reformed Convents, or “Conventuals”, are split into two Vicariates:
  • Saint Peter Martyr Vicariate, corresponding to the former Upper Lombardy
  • Saint Dominic Vicariate, corresponding to the former Lower Lombardy (Udine, Treviso and Saints John and Paul Convent in Venice)

1580 – The General Chapter acknowledges the improvements in observance by Saint Dominic Vicariate convents, which regain in this way the title and rights of a Province with the denomination “Provincia Sancti Domenici Venetiarum”, including the same convents as before

1641 – The Venetian convents of Saints John and Paul, Saint Dominic in Castello and Saint Peter Martyr in Murano are unified under the single “Provincia Sancti Domenici Venetiarum”

1660 – In Cividale, Father Bernardino Gosellino starts a restoration of the Reform and extends it to Rossazzo, Farra and Capodistria

  • Father Basilico Pica uses it for the San Secondo Convent in Venice
  • In 1669 it spreads thanks to the acquisition of Gesuati Convent, which becomes the main centre

1662 – The “B. Giacomo Salomoni” Congregation (second Reform), originates from the Provincia Sancti Dominici Venetiarum with five convents: Cividale, Rossazzo, Farra, Capodistria, San Secondo and Gesuati (1669), in Venice. This new Congregation spreads as far as Greece, where some convents are founded. As a consequence of the 1630 plague, the Convents and the Reform are almost completely decayed

1797 – 1815 – Along with the French Revolution and the Napoleonic rule, all the convents are suppressed, causing the extinction of the Provinces

1806 – 1810 – Napoleonic suppressions

  • The survivor friars are gathered in San Lorenzo, under the General Master’s direct jurisdiction

1819 – During the Restoration period, the “Provincia Utriusque Lombardiae” is reconstituted, but only within the territories of the Papal States, the former Genoa Republic and the Parma and Modena duchies. In Lombardy and Veneto, excepting Venice, it has not been allowed to build convents until 1904

1855 – 1866 (7 July) – Second suppression of any convent

1858 – Saints John and Paul Convent jurisdiction is restored under the “Provincia Utriusque Lombardiae”

 

Province Jurisdiction ultima modifica: 2016-05-08T12:04:26+00:00 da toni fontana