A short history of the Dominican Order in Venice

A short history of the Dominican Order in Venice

1126 First historical record of the presence of Dominican Friars in Venice, at the “Saint Martin porch”, in the Arsenal area

1234 Gift of the ground for the foundation of the Convent of Saints John and Paul
• Beginning of the present Church building between 1246 and 1268

1317 Taking possession of the new Saint Dominic convent in “Castello” area
• Completely abandoned after 1348 plague
• In 1392 it becomes the cradle of B. Dominici’s Reform. First convent of the Lombardy Reformed Congregation
• On 28th July 1806 it is suppressed by Napoleonic laws
• Completely destroyed

1417 New convent in Murano island. Beginning of the building of Saint Peter Martyr church in 1363, dedicated to Saint John the Evangelist, destroyed by fire in 1474, rebuilt in 1509,
consecrated in 1511
• In 1434 declared “Autonomous Convent of the Observance”
• Suppressed in 1806 by Napoleonic laws

1535 San Secondo Convent in San Secondo island, built for the Reformed
• Bought by Benedictine Nuns, destroyed by fire in 1539 and completely rebuilt in 1608
From 1542 to 1662 the convent is under the jurisdiction of the Reform, at first named Vicariate, then Lombard (Reformed) Province
Since 1662, Main convent of “B. Giacomo” Congregation
• Suppressed in 1806 by Napoleonic laws, turned into gunpowder warehouse, nowadays completely abandoned

1669 “Gesuati” Convent bought by B. James Congregation and turned into a branch of San Secondo Convent
1743: a new church is consecrated to the Holy Rosary
1751: foundation stone of the new Convent
1806: Napoleonic laws suppressions turn it into the gathering place of Dominican friars from Pellestrina, Capodistria (Koper) and Parenzo
1810: final suppression of the Convent

1806 Napoleonic laws cause the suppression of three Dominican friars convents in Venice: Saint Dominic in Castello, Saint Peter Martyr in Murano and San Secondo Convent

1810 Napoleonic laws cause the suppression of the Holy Rosary Convent (“Gesuati”) and of Saints John and Paul Convent

1810 Foundation of the new parish of Saints John and Paul Martyrs

1858 Restoration of the Saints John and Paul religious jurisdiction under the “Utriusque Lombardiae” Province, after the temporary stay of the survivors at San Lorenzo

1864 Restoration of Saints John and Paul Regular Observation

A short history of the Dominican Order in Venice ultima modifica: 2016-05-08T12:03:38+00:00 da toni fontana